Monday, May 13, 2024

Limitless Minds

When I found myself in the hospital after the stroke last fall I didn't waste time being depressed or angry. I accepted that I was in bad shape at the moment. Dr. Jo Boaler, author of Limitless Minds: Learn, Lead, and Live Without barriers, would have found at the moment to be the most important words in the above sentence. The concept that the book is based on and the fuel that drove my belief, engagement, and perseverance in recovery work are one and the same: neuroplasticity. If you haven't heard of it don't feel bad. It's a relatively new medical concept. It replaces the idea that our brains are set in stone if not genetically, definitely by adulthood with the idea that growth is possible at any stage in the life span. It is one of the most liberating concepts of our time.
The idea that abilities are set in stone is more dangerous that it initially appears because it is embraced by the majority of educators with harmful consequences. Children entering the school system are characterized as gifted or not. Not only are more resources lavished on the "gifted", but the children in both groups internalize the labels into their self concepts. Seeing themselves as not good at say math they opt out of more challenging courses in middle and high school, limiting their career options. And there's a high correlation between gifted and male, white, high socioeconomic status. This really pisses Boaler off. A professor of education and equity at Stanford University, she wrote Limitless Minds to call bullshit, to show how many of us and our children have been screwed by the very institutions mandated to nurture. She builds the book around six learning keys.
"LEARNING KEY #1 Every time we learn, our brains form, strengthen, or connect neural pathways. We need to replace the idea that learning ability is fixed, with the recognition that we are all on a growth journey." Can you imagine how much education would be transformed if practitioners really embraced that idea? If tracking was not an option they might have to develop different methods of presenting content to kids who learn best through different modalities.
The phrase growth journey really resonates with me. I was in my 60's when I learned about the UMaine Higher Education Student Services masters program and fell in love at first sight. A lot of people tried to talk me out of applying. Why did I want to be taking exams and doing papers with all those kids? Why would I risk rejection? I believed in myself. I'm so glad I didn't let myself get talked out of what gives my life purpose and meaning.
Boaler shows us how mistakes, struggle, and failure bring about the strongest learning. I bet you've experienced having something you really had to struggle to learn sticking with you. It goes against our society' worship of fast effortless learning that has people who have to put effort into learning needlessly shamed and discouraged.
And the chapter on LEARNING KEY #6 "Connecting with people and ideas enhances neural pathways and learning." Is Lit. Probably most have had desultory experiences with school group projects. In elementary school through undergrad college I was a favorite group member because of my willingness to do most of the work and not rat out the slackers. But when groups practice true collaboration (like we do in my grad school) it is incredibly inspiring and empowering.
I could talk about Limitless Minds and the concepts it brings to life a lot more. But I want you to stop reading my words and start reading Boaler's. If you are a teacher, a school administrator, a parent, or someone who wants to make changes in your own life get your hands on the book.
On a purrrsonal note, my faith in neuroplasticity drives my stroke recovery work. I was not only doing all the therapy work I was assigned I was thinking up other tasks. I surprised the speech therapist by incorporating breath control and fine motor skills with word production by singing stuff like The Itsy Bitsy Spider and The Wheels On The Bus. When I got home I added crafts to my fine motor work. I was dancing when I still needed a walker. I have set some goals for this break between semesters. I want to get better at running, relearn shooting hoops and playing frisbee, relearn to ride a non stationary bike, and master jacks and hopscotch. I'll need a lot more strength and stamina the I get my degree and start looking for a full time higher education job.
A great big shout out goes out to my readers and your limitless minds.
Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment