Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Too Bright To See

Juvenile fiction
    Bug, protagonist of Kyle Lukoff's Too Bright To See, is getting through her last summer before middle school.  She feels like life is changing too quickly.  
     She's never been comfortable around same gender peers.  It's like they're all beautifully performing girlhood while she's always a few steps behind.  Now her best (and only) friend, Moira, is talking about reinventing themselves: wearing makeup and developing new clothes styles.  Bug doesn't want a style.  She's anticipating lonely lunches while Moira gets swept up into the popular crowd and begins to see her as a social liability.
     And then there's the new ghost.  Bug's house has always been haunted.  She's used to stuff like cold spots and slamming doors.  The new phantom seems to be her beloved recently deceased Uncle Roderick who appears to have a message to convey to her.
     When Bug figures it out it sets her life in a new direction she never imagined and makes for a most satisfying ending.
On a purrrsonal note, we had our banned books discussion today at the Commuter Lounge.  We drew a small but very engaged group which made for a really good dialogue.  What surprised me the most is I didn't have a panic attack.  I always did before when I was running something.  But I was totally calm.  I think it's partly the self confidence I'm building in my internship and partly being just around the corner from the ultra affirming Student Wellness office.  (Jules)
And having a highly skilled therapy cat.  (Tobago)
Four days until the drag show.
A great big shout out goes out to our wonderful discussion participants.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment