Monday, January 10, 2022

Hard Hitting YA fiction

Hard Hitting YA fiction

Everybody Looking
Starting college is a huge transition for nearly everyone.
There's new independence and opportunities, chances for reinvention,
and heightened expections. For some students high parental
expectations are quite a challenge. This is the case for Ada,
narrator of Candice Iloh's Everybody Looking, an extraordinary coming
of age narrative. Ada means first daughter which translates into
pressure.
"to do a lot of things
you don't want to do
because the honor
of this family
rests on your back."
Ada has been raised by her Nigerian father. (Her drug addicted
mother drifts in and out of her life.) He wants her safety over all
else. She must choose a responsible major that will lead to a
lucrative career and be a shining example of evangelic Christianity.
But accounting is overwhelmingly dull. Dance is what makes her feel
alive. And the rigid gender roles of his church don't fit.
"how do I tell somebody who does nothing
before he has a chance to pray
that the god I'm getting to know teaches me
how to seek my own face?"
Everybody Looking juxtaposes the challenges and joys of Ada's
transition from home to college with flashbacks to defining moments in
her earlier life. Students about to make their own transition will
find her story captivating.
But you don't have to take my word for how good the book is.
Jacqueline Woodson calls it "Beautifully crafted and ultimately
healing." Nic Stone describes it as "An essential and ultimately
gripping and masterfully written and compulsively readable addition to
the coming of age canon."

We Are The Ashes, We Are The Fire
"The lawyers understood what the judges have said, they must.
Next to me, Layla has gone rigid. The prosecutor lets out the
slightest huff of frustration. But if everyone else understood,
they'd be storming the beach, wouldn't they? I'm not even sure Nor
realizes Craig will walk out of here without prison time. I can't be
the one to tell her."
Em's older sister, Nor (Eleanor), was raped and left for dead at
a college frat party. In addition to the trauma, she's had to deal
with a lot of hostility. Assailant Craig was involved with football.
People are more concerned with the effect of the incident on the
team's playoff prospects than on a woman's life.
When the case goes to trial Craig is found guilty on all
counts. It looks like he'll be serving time. But the sentencing
phase upsets everything. Craig gets away with time served.
When the head football coach moves on to another school, citing
distractions as his reason for leaving, Huskies fans are out for blood.
Em is striving valiently to get justice for her sister. Not
only is nothing working out, but she's becoming increasingly estranged
from Nor. She gets relief from an untenable situation by writing the
story of a fifth century noblewoman who fought rapists. Her creation
is juxtaposed with her real life experiences.
This poignant and powerful novel is a much needed reality
check. Too many people are still unwilling to see rape for what it
really is and to exonerate perpetrators, especially those who are
involved with athletics, and their privileged bro networks.

On a purrrsonal note, it was a slow weekend. I was mostly lying
around on the sofa near the tree reading and writing. I planned to go
to zoom church. I actually had my laptop charging. But Tobago chose
me for her cat bed and I didn't have the heart to disturb her. As of
yesterday I'm asymptomatic. But I still plan to isolate until school
starts again next week. I want to go back all strong with nothing
contagious except my personality. (Jules)
Isolate with me another week? YASSS!!! I mean that would be a good
idea. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who keeps bringing home good
food for humans and feline. We even had the ingredients for ice cream
sodas.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment