Thursday, October 14, 2021

Everywhere That Mary Went

Everywhere That Mary Went

Adult chiller
"From his back pocket, he hands me a piece of white paper. The
message is laser-printed in capital letters and reads:
WATCH YOUR STEP, MARY!"
Most of us will fortunately never get a late night ride from a
potential serial killer. All too many of us will encounter fear in a
much more mundane and quotidian setting: the workplace. Many women,
especially women of color, are sexually harassed by men in positions
of power. Undocumented workers can be abused in every way possible by
bosses exploiting their terror of being sent back. And in the world
of fiction if Lisa Scottoline is writing the script homicide can be a
distinct possibility for her characters.
Mary DiNunzio, protagonist of Everywhere That Mary Went, is a
lawyer in a cut throat Philadelphia legal firm. She's fighting to
make partner, a goal she's been working at for years. I think that's
the legal version of tenure in academia. The day of judgement is
impending. DiNunzio and two colleagues are vying for this promotion.
Rumor has it that only two will succeed.
Dinunzio is also a grieving widow. Her beloved husband was the
victim of a recent hit and run. He was riding a bike when a car
struck him. Now she just comes home to her indifferent cat, Alice who
was very much a daddy's girl.
As if that wasn't enough scary things start happening. First
there are the phone calls. The caller hangs up when Mary answers.
Then there are untraceable notes at work. And at times a car seems to
be following her. Someone could be watching her, knowing every move
she makes.
And there are colleagues who might have motive and opportunity
to get her terminated from her job...
...or life.
On a purrrsonal note, I have a mystery which is not a chiller in my
life. When I was working on the scrapbook to share with my children I
found a photograph of my Aunt Phyllis and her grandchildren, the
children of her only son. In the picture the children are about 6, 5,
and 4. Now they would be 40, 39, and 38. Aunt Phyllis and her son
are deceased. But the kids are most likely alive. I'd like to
somehow locate them and see if they'd like to get to know me. I don't
have any blood is thicker delusions. I just think it would be nice to
have blood relations. Technically I have a sibling. But I can't do a
thing to help him. I'm not a social worker. He's off in some world I
fail to understand. Severe brain damage plus the deep end of the
spectrum. It's like we speak different languages. Plus if we were in
the same state we wouldn't get along. The last time that was the case
he was calling on these super conservative preachers to pray for my
evil soul. (Jules).
The weather is so nice out. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the family members I hope to reach.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment