Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Woods Are Always Watching

The Woods Are Always Watching

YA thriller
"The footsteps stopped--just out of view. She was sobbing
again, begging for a response. Something weighty and substantial was
lowered onto the ground above her.
And then a man peered over the edge."
If you're planning on a camping trip in the near future do not
read Stephanie Perkins' The Woods Are Always Watching until your safe
return. I'm glad I'm not going up to the camp my husband built as in
a wooden building that locks. If I was settling down in a tent for
the night every rustle in the darkness would startle me awake.
Providing I got to sleep in the first place.
That's how well written the book is.
On the eve of starting college best friends Neena and Josie are
going on an ill advised three day hiking trip. Neither of them has
built up the stamina to climb mountains. They're going to be out of
cell phone range for three days. The only camping they've ever done
was with an adult in charge. But when they show their collective
parents that they can put the tent up they get permission to go.
Their friendship is not all smooth sailing. They are going in
radically different directions. Neena, who still has an intact family
and a brother living up to high parental expectations, will be going
across the country to a place where she knows nobody. She feels
excited and scared at the same time. She'd like to talk to Josie
about her fears.
But Josie is frustrated that she can't have that kind of
opportunity. Her mother hasn't really been up to parenting since her
father's unexpected death. The family lacks the resources, financial
and otherwise, that Neena's enjoys. So she will have to commute to a
local school and keep her retail job. Same old, lame old.
Needless to say all is not smooth sailing. Even putting their
hefty and heavy backpacks on is a challenge. As the fatigue and aches
and pains of the trip wear on Josie and Nina their grievances come to
the fore, splitting them to the point of wishing they'd never come but
being unwilling to be the first to give up.
Then the unthinkable happens. Josie falls into a sinkhole,
badly fracturing her ankle. We're talking bone poking out of flesh.
Neena must hike back solo to get help. She forgets her asthma inhaler.
The girls have been very wary of bears, unaware that the most
vicious predators on the mountain are members of their own species.
If you're an affecianado of hard core chillers put The Woods Are
Always Watching on your to read list...
...Just not right before you go camping or hiking in the
mountains.
On a purrrsonal note, the day after I donated blood I still hadn't
fully bounced back. That's normal for me. I'm only a few pounds over
the lower weight limit. I was tempted to call in sick. But I knew
how short staffed we are. Only I ended up assigned to pot room.
Think a continuous supply of the biggest, grungiest, and, in some
cases, heaviest pots, pans, and other cooking implements you can
imagine to scour and put away. I lucked out. When I came back from
break Sonny, a non student worker, had taken over so I could do tables
(much easier) the rest of my shift. I decided to talk to my manager,
Michele, about the possibility of my not working the day after the
three remaining days I'll donate blood this school year. She agreed
that was reasonable. (Jules)
I just learned that some cats donate blood. They don't get to decide
to. Their hoomans volunteer them. I have no desire to deal with
needles that way. That would be a real life scary story. (Tobago)
Tobago has nothing to worry about. I'm more than happy to be the
donor in the family. (Jules)
A great big shout out goes out to Sonny, Michele, and the rest of the
dining crew family. They are simply the best.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment