Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Harrow Lake

Harrow Lake

YA/adult thriller
"Nolan's muffled words kick my brain into action. I grab the
phone and crouch next to him as I dial 911. I somehow sound calm as I
give the operator as much information as I can, trying to drown out
the other voice inside my head, the hissing static that he's going to
die, going to leave me all alone, going to disappear..."
Nolan Nox is famous for making horror movies. His most iconic
one was shot in the small town of Harrow Lake, a town that attracted
him by its pure 1920's decor and its eerie beliefs and superstitions.
After its release the movie became the town's identity. Every year
there is a week long festival for all the Night Jar affecianado
tourists to enjoy.
One day Lola, narrator of Kate Ellis' Harrow Lake, comes home to
find her father, Nolan, on the floor of his study, bleeding and in
great pain. He survives his attack. But it will take him time to
recover. He sends Lola to Harrow Lake, to the home of her only-known-
to-be-alive relative, her maternal grandmother, Moira. (Lola's mom,
Lorelei, had met Nolan when she starred as Little Bird in Night Jar.
At some point when Lola was little she had disappeared.
Lola arrives just in time for the festival. When her suitcase
goes missing she has to wear Lorelei's movie costumes. Going downtown
feels like stepping into the movie set.
It's a pretty creepy place. People disappear regularly,
especially the girls who play the part of Little Bird in the annual
parade. The police search perfunctorily and say they run away...
...but do they? Or does something sinister abduct them...
...like a cannibalastic ghoul named Mr. Jitters?...
"He got trapped underground for a really long while,
Then he fed on the dead and got a brand-new smile."
Will Lola get out of the place alive?
Read the book and see.
Horrow fans, especially those enamoured of Stephen King's The
Shining, would do well to take a little trip to Harrow Lake.
On a purrrsonal note, I am happy to report that sledding is as much
fun as ever. A great way to get winter exercise while socially
distancing.
I had a wonderful surprise yesterday morning. I woke up to find the
most amazing cat pajamas on top of my coat. I guess Eugene bought
more than groceries Sunday. I tried a new recipe this morning. Sugar
cookies with crushed up peppermint candy canes. Easy to make and
delish (Jules)
I heard this on National Public Radio. Many people are relying on
their four legged companions to help them survive and even thrive in
this pandemic. Don't panic if you don't have a cat or dog (or ferret,
rabbit, hamster...) chum. There are so many wonderful critters at
shelters just waiting to become your BFF. Maybe find out what true
love is all about in time for Valentines Day? (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our beloved Eugene.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment