Saturday, May 23, 2020

That Takes Ovaries!

That Takes Ovaries!

Adult nonfiction
"That Takes Ovaries! is a collection of women's and girls' real
life stories written in their own words. From courageous and smart to
outrageous and foolhardy, these accounts capture the breadth of gutsy
acts. It is a collection that embraces diversity with the voices of
everyday females of many ages and cultural backgrounds, and also
includes stories from a few better-known individuals and activists."
Rivka Solomon had been at a party. Hearing somebody talking about
a woman who did something really gutsy, she exclaimed, "Well, that
took ovaries!" When other attendees liked that phrase she saw how
powerful it could be. Before she'd gone to bed she'd decided it would
be a great title for a book--a collection of such tales.
"I envisioned a book that would excite women and men of all ages
who want to see their sisters, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and
friends leading empowered lives; mothers and fathers who care about
their daughters growing up self assured and confident; and girls eager
to be a part of the growing girl power movement. That Takes Ovaries!
would be for everyone interested in challenging a culture still
wrought with inequity and double standards--everyone hungry for
unabashedly powerful females."
The day after the party Solomon sent out an invitation about the
most "gutsy or audicious" things women had done. She received
hundreds. The dozens of stories she selected include those of:
*Wilma Mankiller who, as a single indigenous mom, returned to the
impoverished place of her birth to work for the betterment of her
people;
*Tess Dehoag, a fat girl who wore a tank top;
*Amanda Rivera who attended a gay pride march with her mother when she
was eight;
*Julia Acevedo who told off a group of men behaving very badly;
*Ruchira Gupta who defied gangs, politicians, and corrupt cops to
document the abuse of girls in brothels;
and *so many more. There's sure to be at least one who will resonate
with you.
The story that most touched my heart was that of Eva. She was
faced with a heart breaking choice: stay in El Salvador and not be
able to provide for her beloved six children or take the perilous
journey to the United States and send the money they needed to survive
and thrive, not knowing if she'd ever see them again.
"...My kids need me, and instead they have to grow up without
me. My little one, only 2 when I left, doesn't know me. At least
they have money to live on, and have a future. Before, I could not
say that. I don't feel it was the right choice to come to the United
States, but I don't feel there was a right choice--either way my kids
suffered."
Read this fine book and think on your own life. What have you
done that was gutsy or audicious? How can owning your courage
motivate future bravery?
On a purrrsonal note, yesterday was my most wonderful day of the
pandemic. My older daughter, Amber, got married to her fiancée,
Brian, in a socially distanced but lovely wedding. It was held in
UMaine's Ornamental Garden. The flowering trees and bushes and spring
flowers were lovely. The weather was warm and sunny with a breeze.
Bride and groom wrote their own vows. All my kids and their
significant others were there. After we had a reception in Amber and
Brian's back yard. It was so precious for us all to be together. I
now have lovely memories and pictures to take back into this seemingly
endless isolation.
Eugene has gone to camp for Memorial Day weekend. I'm happy he will
have a chance to unwind in his favorite place. I'm happy that I have
Tobago to keep me company so I won't be home alone. (Jules)
Well I am glad I am here. A home sure beats a cage in a shelter.
Maybe you can give a deserving cat or goggie the home she or he is
yearning for. You can't buy love, but you can rescue it. (Tobago)
A great big shout out to Amber and Brian with best wishes for a long,
happy life together.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment