Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Love and Lies of Rukhsana Ali

The Love and Lies of Rukhsana Ali
YA/adult fiction
"No parties, no shorts, no boys. These were my parents' cardinal
rules. But what they didn't know couldn't hurt them, right? I
quickly changed out of my NASA pajamas and into my favorite black crop
top and dark blue vintage jeans, liking the way they acccentuated my
curves. According to Mom no one needed to know that I had boobs, much
less a belly button, except for me, Allah, and my future husband. Of
course, the whole 'no boys' rule was a moot point in my case, but
fortunately my parents didn't know about Ariana."
I have rarely seen the show, don't tell rule followed so
beautifully as in the first paragraph of Sabina Khan's The Love and
Lies of Rukhsana Ali (quoted above). By inference you learn a number
of things. Rukhsana and her family are Muslims. Her parents are
traditional. Rukhsana isn't on board with their rules. She's gay and
in a relationship.
Rukhsana and Ariana are eagerly awaiting the freedom that an out-
of-state college and an apartment will bring. In the meantime
Rukhsana must navigate two very different worlds and sets of
loyalties. For her parents she must be the good Muslim girl. She's
very aware that they could make her turn down the college of her
dreams and attend a local one or skip college and go right to arranged
marriage.
"Rukhsana, I've told you before. Daughters and sons are not the
same. You have the power to honor our family's good reputation. But
if you're not careful, you could also be the one to stain it. And
it's my job to male sure that does not happen..."
Needless to say, Rukhsana has to keep her relationship a
secret. It's a lot more of a challenge than it would be for her white
classmates. Her family is part of a close (and snoopy) ethnic
community. Anywhere she goes she could be seen and outed.
The need for extreme secrecy endangers Rukhsana's relationship.
Ariana is tired of being her "dirty little secret." Rukhsana muses:
"Was I ever going to have the courage to face my parents? I
thought I had the perfect plan. We could go to Caltech together and
be far away from home, so no one in Seattle would know about our
relationship. But was that really how I wanted to live my life? In
the shadows, hiding away the person I loved?
Only Rukhsana's parents discover her secret before she has the
chance to move. Their plan to cure their daughter is not something
you'd expect to happen in the 21st century. You'll have to read the
book to see what it is.
On a purrrsonal note, I survived not drinking any fluids for 31
hours. I learned that not drinking is much harder than not eating.
Eugene celebrated his birthday yesterday. He took me out to Dennys
after plowing snow all night. We have another storm due tonight into
tomorrow. Sweet Tobago has really settled in. She has a bunch of
favorite subbing and napping spots. Spring semester starts Tuesday.
I am so ready!!!
Great big shout outs go out to Eugene and to the sweet cat who makes
us even more of a family.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment