Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Music Of What Happens

The Music Of What Happens

YA/adult fiction
"But then I think of the stuff we hear at school. No means no,
which some of the stupider-ass baseball dudes translate as, "No means
yes, yes means anal." Which wasn't funny then. And I said no. Naw.
So is this like, rape-minus? Is that a thing? If you aren't
overpowered, if you could have left but you didn't, because you were
curious, maybe, that's not rape, right?" (Max)
"I promised my dad four years ago, right before he died, that I
would take care of her. And I'm trying so hard. When Mom melts down,
I do the best I can to make meals and I let her cry on my shoulder and
I do the shopping. And when she morphs into normal, awesome Mom
again, I don't even mention the other stuff because I'm glad she's
back. But I guess doing all that isn't good enough."
Max and Jordan, narrators of Bill Konigsberg's The Music Of What
Happens, make up a very unlikely odd couple. Other than the fact that
they're both gay, they seem to have little in common. Max is a jock,
a baseball player who hangs with two bros from the team. He was
taught by his now divorced and absent father to warrior up when in
pain. Jordan is a shy poet. He is burdened with responsibilities no
high school student should. At school they were unaware of each
other's existence.
But it's summer. The life insurance money Jordan and his mother
have been living on has run out. In fact they owe $5,000 in mortgage
payments. In an attempt to not lose their home they are taking
Jordan's father's food truck, Coq Au Vinny, on the road. Only his
mother panics, sure she can't handle the work, has a melt down, and
hires Max to take her place.
Can two high school students learn all the complexities of
running a food truck well enough to not only cover expenses, but pay
the back mortgage before eviction happens? Can they get along in such
proximity, especially where each is dealing with trauma?
You have to read the book to see.
The Music Of What Happens not only provides a fascinating
narrative with captivating characters, but opens up wider discussions
in regard to the subject of consent. Usually when we discuss no
meaning no we're assuming the no sayer to be a girl or woman and the
disregarder to be a boy or man. Here they're both guys.
On a personal note, the student employment people capped off student
employee appreciation week with a pancake breakfast on Wednesday and
an ice cream social Friday. Commuter Lounge guys cooked up pancakes
on Thursday. I had whole wheat with blueberries and raspberries
topped with real maple syrup and whipped cream. Simply divine!
Working in dining services, I know good food when I eat it!
Great big shout outs go out to the student employment office people
and the commuter lounge pancake chefs.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment