Sunday, October 28, 2018

Six Months Later

Six Months Later

YA/adult fiction
"As in November 10? No. I read it once and then again. A
bunch of other calls are all from November too. I glance up,
panicked, finding a calendar on the wall and a flyer for a winter
dance that should be eight months away.
The evidence hits me like icy darts, needling me toward the
impossible truth. I've been asleep for six months. A coma or
something. Somehow I've missed six months of my life."
Chloe, protagonist of Natalie D. Richards' Six Months Later,
wakes up at night in a school room with no memory of where she's been
or what she's done. Somehow she has to pick up the strands of her
life, even basic stuff like her senior year class schedule. And she
has to do this without anyone discovering the gaps in her memory. She
doesn't want to be the object of pity and subject of gossip she was
when she had to cope with panic attacks earlier in her high school
career.
Time loss, however, is not the only aspect of her life that has
Chloe confused. In the lost six months she's seemingly become the
polar opposite of her former self. An indifferent student has become
a scholastic superstar. The boy she had a total crush on is now the
devoted boyfriend she wants to keep at arm's length. She's attracted
irresistably to a classmate she'd formerly written off as a juvenile
delinquent. While she's become super popular at school, her long term
best friend won't speak to her.
Could all this change be connected to an SAT study group she
participated in over the summer? Could it be a cover up for something
truly sinister?
Fans of Lisa Scottoline and Jodi Picoult and all others who
enjoy a suspenseful mystery will find Six Months Later to be simply
irresistable.
On a personal note, I got a whole new perspective on Homecoming
yesterday. Dining services had been getting ready--getting people
psyched for treats like hot wings (good and spicy hot) and
individually icing hundreds of football cookies. I worked brunch.
People were lined up and stampeded in when we opened the doors. And
they kept coming. I heard in one hour 200 people entered. After I
finished serving I went to cleaning tables. People were still
arriving. I had to manuver like our football players to get to the
tables. That day in Wells was one wild ride.
A great big shout out goes out to my team mates who were going above
and beyond to make the event a success, Anna and Simon who were
keeping the troops rallied, and Michael who was acing team leader. I
couldn't possibly be more proud to be part of the family.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment