Sunday, March 18, 2018

Slacker

Slacker

Juvenile fiction
"Without putting down the controller, I got up, ran to the high
window, yanked away the pillow I'd jammed there for extra darkness,
and peered outside. All I could see were fire engines and guys in
heavy raincoats and rubber boots.
'What?' I exclaimed aloud, and this time it didn't mean 'Do not
disturb' or 'I'm busy.' It meant 'Why is the entire Sycamore Fire
Department parked on our lawn.'"
Fortunately Cam's house isn't on fire. The baked ziti he was
supposed to remove from the oven burned to a crisp, filling the house
with smoke. His parents are not amused. The walls are grimy and
sooty. And the front door, an unusual size that must be special
ordered, has been smashed by by firefighter axes.
Cam's parents make him an ultimatum: if he doesn't become
involved in an activity that involves real live human interaction
before the new door is on he'll lose his game system.
Cam is frantic. Getting ready for a gaming competition with a
substantial cash prize takes all his spare time. Activities take
time. But what if he can invent a fake school club, satisfying his
parents while staying on his favorite couch, controller in hand?
Only in no time flat the Positive Action Group is all over town
doing good deeds and being targeted by a Harvard aspiring high school
student who thinks they're undermining her school group.
And there's a beaver named Elvis.
Gordon Korman is brilliant at satirizing both school fads and
the foibles of the very inept adults in charge of running things. His
Slacker is a most excellent example.
On a personal note, after a slow paced spring break I'm back in
reality. Today I have packed with church and social justice
activities. And tomorrow I'll be back at UMaine.
A great big shout out goes out to the friends I'll be seeing for the
first time in nine days or so.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment