Sunday, October 29, 2017

Sandy's Circus

Sandy's Circus

Juvenile biography
"There once was an artist named Alexander Calder.
Only he didn't call himself Alexander.
Everyone called him Sandy. He had been making his objects since
he was a kid..."
Tanya Lee Stone and her fiancée were driving in rural Connecticut
. Unexpectedly, among cow pastures, they saw a yard full of colorful
sculptures that they had to take a closer look at. They had been
created by Alexander Calder, the twentieth century sculptor who
invented mobiles. Stone was inspired to someday write about the
artist. Lucky for us, she followed through with Sandy's Circus.
From an early age, Alexander Calder, the son of a painter mother
and a sculptor father, had tools and knew how to use them. He made
his friends and sister gifts out of junk.
In 1926 he traveled where he was inspired to create a circus
that grew and grew and grew...
...and delighted crowds in France and America.
"Sandy delighted in crafting things that moved. He made new
kinds of art, hanging his shapes up, connecting pieces to each other
with wire, and letting the air drift and spunk them into motion. In
doing so, he turned ordinary objects into extraordinary art, and
invented the very first mobiles.
And it all started with Sandy's magical, moveable circus.
If you have a child who enjoys taking things apart and building
creations from "junk" or if you were once (and may still have
potential to be) that child, Sandy's Circus is a must read.
On a personal note, Saturday I went to the day long Wabnaki Reach
conference. It was to enlighten whites like me on the history of all
we've done to Maine's indiginous people and the relationship
comlexities that continue to this day. After that another atendee
told me she's a professor in the department I want to get my masters
in and she really hopes I get in. :-)
That can only be good.
Oh, yeah, I've decided what I'll be for Halloween. An angel. I have
a blue dress with wings and a pipe cleaner halo.
A great shout out goes out to you, my readers, with best wishes for a
safe and spooktacular Halloween.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment