Sunday, November 6, 2016

Just Joking 6

Just Joking 6

Juvenile humor
In the middle of the most bizarre and scary election in my
entire life I needed a laugh. So when I saw Just Joking 6 in the
Orono Public Library juvenile section I snapped it up.
The Just Joking series is in a whole other category from run of
the mill juvenile joke books. It's put out by National Geographic
Kids. This is a real guarantee of quality content. The photos,
particularly the animal ones, are worth the price of the book.
Intriguing animal tidbit facts are woven into the material. You
learn, for instance, that red foxes are nocturnal hunters because of
excellent night vision and that certain turtles can go a year without
food or drink.
The jokes and tongue twisters are irrisistable. Do you know an
egg's favorite horror movie, computers' preferred snacks, or what cats
put on their iPods?
Check out the book and see.
If you have a child who would enjoy the volume...
...Christmas is coming up faster than we'd like to think.
On a personal note, the night after the celebration of Paul's life I
woke up with an epiphany and couldn't go back to sleep. I was
thinking how much more meaningful it felt than church memorial
services I've been to. I think it's in large part due to people
making eye contact rather than sitting in pews and staring at backs of
heads. For that reason plus the fact that most of my loved ones are
not practicing Christians I'm opting for them to set up a non church
event. They can have people mingle and nosh, a slide show with music
and pictures of my life, my kids reminiscing, a reading of a little of
my poetry, and people sharing memories. Too cool. I am going to plan
it out and put it in writing to make things easier for my loved ones
who I assume will be sad. Don't get me wrong. I want to live as long
as I'm in the game.
A great big shout out goes out to my loved ones whom I hope to have a
lot more time to spend with, but I never take for granted.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment