Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Goldfish and Chrysanthemums

Goldfish and Chrysanthemums

Picture book
It is a very special picture book that touches heart and soul
without getting mushy or kitschy. There is a very fine line there.
Andrea Cheng's Goldfish and Chrysanthemums has the dignity to stay on
the right side of it.
Nancy's grandmother gets very sad news from Japan. The home she
grew up in and its garden and fish pond have been torn down to make
space for an apartment building. At a summer fair Nancy wants to get
something that will cheer her grandmother up. Nothing seems quite
right until she wins two goldfish which become the beginning of a very
special project.
True bonding between generations becomes increasingly rare in
our age segregated society. It is wonderful to see it celebrated so
beautifully.
On a personal note, I have yet another reason to be happy. One of my
dearest and best friends is moving to Veazie where she is buying a
house. Since I don't drive and there is no night bus service and my
friends live in other towns I feel so isolated when darkness falls.
A great big shout out goes out to my chum Lisa.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment