Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Who put the B in the Ballyhoo?

Who put the B in the Ballyhoo?

Has anyone ever told you to hold your horses? If so you would
probably have known you were supposed to wait and be patient. Back in
the day before cars became the dominant mode of transportation this
expression had a lot more literal meaning. When a circus came to town
a parade was a pre Internet means of enticing potential ticket
buyers. The cry to hold one's horses was meant to increase
mindfulness and responsibility in their owners. A stampede caused by
the excitement and the sight of exotic beasts like tigers and
elephants would not have been a good thing.
Betcha didn't know that. I didn't either until a few minutes
ago. It's only one of the fascinating facts I gleaned from Carlyn
Beccia's Who Put the B in the Ballyhoo?: Most Amazing, Bizarre, And
Celebrated Circus Performers. I can't imagine how anyone could resist
picking up a book like that.
When I was a child small black and white television sets with 3
commercial and one educational channel were state of the art and
travel to other countries was pretty much the domain of the well off
and at least semi famous. The traveling circus was not only an
entertainment but a means of getting in touch with the exotic.
Imagine how much more this was true in the pre tv, pre radio, pre
airplane days. Who put the B in Ballyhoo? gives a fascinating glimpse
into the acts and sights that mesmerized our forefathers and mothers.
It's one of those richly researched alphabet books that can enchant
and educate both abecedarian (yes, there is such a word) and parent.
If you're wondering what in tarnation ballyhoo means...
...I'm gonna leave you in suspense. Read the book and find out.
On a personal note, when Harriet and I were children the circus was a
real big deal, combining the thrilling and exotic spectacle with the
glamour of a train trip to Boston. I would come back dazzled by the
experience, daydreaming of running away to become a flying trapeze
performer, amazing the crowd by feats of daring, clad in satin and
spangles. That I totally lacked the ability never entered my head.
Each year the neighborhood kids and I would earn a little money
putting on our own backyard version. I stage managed the whole thing
from props to publicity. Of course in my mind that justified casting
myself in the leads of ringmaster and flying trapeze performer. Other
kids received roles comensurate with how I felt about them at the
time. It irritated my mother no end that I unfailingly cast Harriet
(who was stockier) in the role of the circus animals including the
elephants. Hard to believe but for many adults in the working class
and poorer neighborhood I grew up in that was their sole experience of
circus.
A great big shout out goes out to all performers past and present who
contributed and continue to contribute to the greatest show on earth.
Let's stop, however, abusing animals and keeping them under heart
breaking conditions for our amusement. We now know better.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment