Thursday, October 13, 2022

The Astronaut With A Song For The Stars

Juvenile nonfiction 
"'That's called ENGINEERING,'
     her teacher explained.
'Forget it! That field is for boys,'
     he proclaimed.'"
     Ellen Ochao, grandchild of Mexican immigrants, loved playing classical flute.  Her first vocational goal was to play in an orchestra.  In college, however, outer space began to interest her.  Male faculty did their best to discourage her.  NASA initially rejected her.
     Most people would have given up at that point.  But Ellen kept learning and inventing.  STEM loving girls will find her path to becoming the world's first Latina in space to be quite inspiring.
On a purrrsonal note, I've made a big change in my life.  I was getting quite frustrated because, although I was able to keep up with my school work and nobody in my home was starving or running around in unwashed clothes, I wasn't making progress with my student initiatives.  I'd planned for my last two years of school to be all about student initiatives.  No matter how hard I tried I kept hitting a brick wall.  At the end of my sixth week I had an epiphany.  If I cut from four to three days a week at work that could make all the difference.  Everyone I mentioned it to totally agreed.  So now I have an additional day on campus.  So it's time for me to put out or shut up. (Jules)
As long as she still has enough time for her best little cat in the world.  ( Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the friends willing to listen to my problem and weigh in with good advice.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment