Saturday, September 21, 2019

What We Talk About

What We Talk About

Adult nonfiction
"...Discussions about rape are so often irrational, and
sometimes outright bizarre. It's the only crime to which people
respond by wanting to lock up the victims. It's the only crime that
is so bad that victims are supposed to be destroyed beyond repair by
it, but simultaneously not so bad that the men who do it should be
treated like other criminals."
Sohaila Abdulaali (quoted above), author of What We Talk About
When We Talk About Rape, knows what she's talking about. When she was
only 17, she and a friend were kidnapped by armed men who gang raped
her, hurt them both, and threatened to kill them. Fast forward a few
decades. She had written her undergraduate and graduate theses on
rape and run a rape crisis center. Although she didn't want to be
defined by the crime that had been committed against her, she thought
a great deal about rape and wrote one of the most nuanced,
comprehensive books on the subject I've ever seen. Her story and
those of other survivors are tied together by cogent analysis. Some
of the topics she covers are:
*the mixed consequences for sharing one's story or keeping it a secret;
*the complexities surrounding any definition of consent;
and *that ultimate taboo topic--incest.
Currently a lot more people are talking about rape. Not all the
conversations, however, shed much light. This thought provoking
volume adds much depth to the discourse, potentially moving it in a
good direction. I'd especially recommend it for women and gender
study classes.
On a purrrsonal note, the week just flew by in a blur of school,
homework, work, commuting, cooking, and all that jazz. At work I
realized how far I've come from this time last year. I did get in an
hour of volunteering at the library which brings me up to 87 1/2.
Today is my birthday. I'm going to work a crazy busy (family and
friends weekend) brunch shift and come home to homework. Tomorrow
Eugene will take his mom leaf peeping. He invited me but I can't take
that much time fr my school work. I'm trying to get enough ahead so I
can be in the drag show before October break.
A great big shout out to the coworkers who will be feeding the crowd
with me and the best little cat in the world.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment