Saturday, September 21, 2019

Those Shoes

Those Shoes

Picture book
Have you ever coveted an item that everyone but you seems to
have? If so, you'll relate to the everychild narrator of Maribeth
Boelts' Those Shoes. One by one other boys in his class wear a
certain style of shoe. He covets them, even dreaming of them. But
his family can only budget for needs, not wants. Things get worse
when one of his shoes falls apart and the guidance counselor sets him
up with a pair that nearly all the other kids laugh at.
When he finds a pair of the shoes he can afford at the thrift
shop they're uncomfortably too small. What's a kid to do?
Read the book and find out.
On a purrrsonal note, this is a truly crappy birthday. I did get nice
gifts and cards. I'd been coming down with a bug going around campus:
sore throat, ear ache, headache, tiredness. Last night I hardly got
any sleep. Today I struggled through a work shift. When I ate it was
like chowing down on broken glass. The last hour of work it was a
struggle to stay on my feet. I can't focus on studying or sleep. I'm
hungry but we have nothing I can eat. The store is two miles away. If
Joey was here he would have cuddled with me and helped me cope. But
it's my first birthday in ages without him.
A great big shout out goes out to the best little cat in the world who
could make crappy days brighter.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment