Sunday, September 30, 2018

Just Like Us! Birds

Just Like Us! Birds

Juvenile nonfiction
Bridget Heos' latest book is for the birds.
Literally.
Just Like Us! Birds explores the similarities between human and
avian behaviors. Birds engage in courtship and offer gifts to attract
mates. OK, we're more stirred by candy or flowers while an Arctic
tern is attracted by a dead fish. But both lead to mating, which
requires a home or a nest. Then there are those newly born or hatched
critters with their special dietary needs. Fish puke, anyone?
Did you know that parent birds change baby bird diapers?
Heos' text is enlivened by David Clark's very amusing
illustrations and some very cute photographs.
You and your kids may not see our feathered friends in quite the
same way after reading the book.
On a personal note, it's been another week of school, work, sleep,
home and family, and commuting. My social life was donating blood
Tuesday and then volunteering in the canteen. I was very excited
about that. I'd had to not take iron pills. They now make my stomach
hurt. But thanks to the chefs at Wells I had a good iron count. I'm
getting less scared of computers. Now when I'm stumped, instead of
"Oh, crap! I'm screwed!" I try to think what I can do and then (if
I'm still stumped) who can help me.
A great big shout out goes out to all who participated in the blood
drive, the fabulous Wells chefs, and the Commuter Lounge peeps for
their very generous pancake party. I had two blueberry pancakes with
maple syrup and whipped cream.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment