Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Island of Dr. Libris

The Island of Dr. Libris

Juvenile fiction
"I am thrilled to report that after an exhaustive search, I have
found the ideal subject for our first field test, which will commence
as soon as Billy G., a twelve-year-old male with a very vivid
imagination, arrives on-site.
His mother will be busy. His father will be away. He will be
bored.
In short, Billy G. will be perfect."
Recall last summer we discovered Chris Grabenstein's Escape From
Mr. Lemoncello's Library and Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics?
Unbeknownst to me they are part of a trilogy build around books and
mind games. This year I stumbled upon the middle volume: the Island
of Dr. Libris. If you enjoyed the other books, you're gonna need to
read this one.
Billy is going to vacation in a very strange house. His mother
will indeed by busy working on her dissertation. His father is indeed
away. He is indeed bored out of his mind minus television and his
phone.
The owner of the cottage, Dr. Libris has a study full of books.
Part of the collection resides in a very unusual locked bookcase.
When Billy discovers the key he begins to read The Labors of
Hercules. Suddenly he begins hearing sound effects from the book
eminating from an island. On that island the characters from the
special books come to life and interact with each other and Billy,
sometimes putting him in danger.
What the heck is going on? What is the mysterious experiment
for which Billy seems to be the sole guinea pig?
Read the book and see.
On a personal note, here in Penobscot County, Maine Mother
Nature is following her spectacular Christmas Day storm with a cold
snap. These are good days for staying to home. I'm getting the house
organized to be easy to keep up when I get in grad school and working
on my writing. Of course at night I'm reading near my lovely tree
with Joey cat on my lap.
A great big shout goes out to all those who, like my husband, go out
at all hours to clean up the mess when Mother Nature parties.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment