Monday, December 18, 2017

Real Friends

Real Friends

Juvenile graphic novel
"I never thought I would write a memoir. For one thing I didn't
have a tragic or extraordinary childhood. I had kind parents who
loved me. I had friends and many good times. But I decided to write
this book in order to show how those years felt to me, in case you
have felt or are feeling the same way. And then we can say to each
other, 'Hey, me too! Isn't that something? To realize I'm not the
only one?"
I've experienced girls' friendships from the perspective of
child, sibling, and mother. In each role I've found them to be
complex, evoking emotions covering the whole range from joy to fear
and anger...sometimes in the course of a single day. All of this
complexity is magnified by the crucialness of peers in the growing up
years.
In Real Friends Newbury Honor author Shannon Hale reveals her
life in friendships through sixth grade. There's a kaliedescope of
shifting loyalties. A best friend (Adrienne) moves. Her changed
return is bittersweet. Shannon gets on the precarious periphery of
the in group Adrienne is firmly entrenched in, a clique with ever
changing rules and alliances.
Home presents its own challenges. Shannon is the left out
middle child excluded by two older sisters and beyond the interests of
two younger siblings. Her oldest sister, Wendy, seems intent on
making her life miserable.
LeUyen Pham's evocative illustrations capture the text
perfectly. Facial expressions, postures, and distances between
characters speak at least as loudly as words. Segues between reality
and fantasy are flawless.
Real Friends is a lively, accessible book and a must read for
every girl and woman who has ever wondered what is most important in
friendship.
On a personal note, Joey cat and I are enjoying our lovely Christmas
tree. Yesterday church was so beautiful! In front were the white
poinsettas that would later be delivered to shut in people. (If you
have a cat and get a poinsetta keep the two far apart.) My choir and
bell choir teamed up on O Come O Come Emanuel. I admit I may be
prejudiced. But it was so beautiful it sent chills up my spine. I
was swept away with the pure joy of it all.
A great big shout out goes out to my fellow choir members, choir
director Molly, and our talented bell choir. We made beautiful music
together!
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment