Friday, September 18, 2015

The Tooth

The Tooth

Picture book
When candy-loving Marissa wakes up with a toothache her mother
takes her to see the dentist. En route to his office Marissa sees a
homeless man sitting on the sidewalk. She's never before seen anyone
like him. When she tries to get closer her mother pulls her along.
Mom probably hopes that Marissa will forget about the man. In
the waiting room she sits down with a magazine. Marissa watches how
he is treated by pedestrians from the window.
After her appointment Marissa does something creatively
thoughtful.
The Tooth is a great read aloud to share with children and a
reminder to parents that kids may have much more understanding and
empathy than we give them credit for.
On a personal note, the September Orono Arts Cafe was well attended.
The joint was jumping. That's for sure. In addition to reading my
poetry, which once again was well received, I got to play tambourine
for Redman who sings and plays guitar. I was playing and dancing up a
storm, as though I had Roma (as opposed to boring Anglo and Germanic)
DNA encoded in my cells.
A great big shout out goes out to my Orono Arts Cafe clan.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment