Friday, May 15, 2015

I Am A Promise

I Am A Promise

Video Documentary
A few weeks ago I watched as many DVDs as I normally watch in
about six months. Joey cat was in vet hospital overnight. The
following morning he was in surgery 4 1/2 hours. I could not eat,
sleep, or concentrate enough to read. So I gave up on books and
decided to watch DVDs Eugene had bought me. Mostly I watched corny
Christmas comedies and other lighthearted stuff. But I did watch one
docudrama that really tugged at my <3.
I Am A Promise covers a year at North Philadelphia's Stanton
Elementary School. It puts very human faces on the correlation quoted
by people like me between family income and schools' standardized test
scores. Most of the beautiful, curious, brimming with life children
(90%) live below the poverty line. They and their parents face
challenges most of us can't imagine. And the push to have them
achieve dauntingly high test scores instead of, say, bringing out
natural talents and abilities, is not doing them any favors.
I've said it before. I'll say it again. Children whose basic
needs are met can not learn. When will we understand? One reason
Finland kicks our butt on every measure of education is that they
provide what vulnerable kids need to succeed. Isn't it time we
learned from them?
I Am A Promise is poignant and heartbreaking. It should be
required watching for everyone--especially those latter day Horatio
Alger fans who think any child can become proficient given the right
standardized test.
On a personal note, Joey Cat came out of surgery very strong and
impatient to go home. Which he did that afternoon. A few days later
he was able to get his catheter out. A week ago it was his stitches.
I am so happy to have my little friend getting back to his happy
healthy self.
A great big shout out to all the vets and others who heal our beloved
non human companions, especially the staff of Veazie Vet, Joey's
medical home.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment