Thursday, June 5, 2014

Indigo

Indigo

YA fiction
What would you do if you felt that you were cursed in such a way
that your touch can kill those you love? That's the terrible
predicament Corrine, protagonist of Gina Linko's Indigo, finds herself
in. She and little sister Sophie were on the Lake Michigan shore when
Sophie died. A storm begins. Sophie falls and begins to convulse.
Corrine tries to save her. She sees a blaze of infigo and passes
out. When she regains consciousness beautiful little Sophie is gone.
Corrine's family has moved to their summer residence in New
Orleans. Determined to never again kill someone she cares about, she
keeps everyone at a distance psychically and physically. She isolates
herself from her peers in school and won't even touch her mother.
Then a boy, a distant relative, makes a concerted effort to get
past her defenses. Rather than a curse, she may have the gift of
healing. Others in their family have possessed it. Corrine is of two
minds. Part of her wants to end her self imposed isolation and have a
special person in her life; the other part is terrified. What if he's
wrong and becomes the next victim?
I couldn't put the book down. I don't think you'll be able to.
On a personal note, although it's nothing as dramatic as Corrine's
gift, the sixth sense is not always easy. Sometimes I know things I
don't want to. Like when my mother left Maine I knew I'd never see
her again. Try dealing with that when you have kids ranging in age
from one to eight. But most of the time it lets good things happen.
In April 2013 I knew I had to make Betsy Webb, my mentor, a loaf of
banana bread and deliver it on a certain day. I did it covertly,
knowing my kids would question my sanity. It turns out Betsy's
grandmother, who had died, had made her banana bread every year on her
birthday. Guess what day that was!
A great big shout out goes out to all of us who have gifts that fall
beyond the realm of what science can explain.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment