Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ladybug Girl and the Big Snow

Ladybug Girl and the Big Snow

Picture book
For at least the next couple of months David Soman and Jacky
Davis' Ladybug Girl and the Big Snow will be a perfect read aloud in
Maine and other northern states.
Ladybug Girl wakes up to find her yard covered in snow. She
can't wait to get out into its magic. She and her dog, Bingo, sample
the white stuff and create a whimsical footprint penguin. Then things
get a little more difficult. A snow castle does not shape up well.
When she bumps a tree branch a lot of snow falls on her head. When
she tries to climb a hill she gets stuck. Snow is looking a lot less
magical until...
...read the book and see. If my kids were still little (sigh) I'd
haul out this book right after a storm and then take them out to play!
On a personal note, a couple of years ago, the day after a big storm,
I got to the library for my volunteering shift a bit early. I made
good use of the time before it opened by making a beautiful snow cat.
I posed proudly with it. The picture still makes me smile.
A great big shout out goes out to my amazing mentor, Betsy Webb, who
also still finds the magic in snow. She was walking with a group of
children this winter when the first flakes began to fall. Their great
happiness filled her with joy. Yay, Betsy!!! You are the total cat's
pajamas!
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment