Friday, November 30, 2012

Weird But True

The day I brought National Geographic Kids Ultimate Weird But
True home I also had more serious books in my backpack: an analysis
of Islam, a volume on the fine details of composting, the true story
of a penguin rescue... So guess which one I took out the minute
supper was over. I read it all in one night and probably stepped all
over my family's last nerve, filling them on a fascinating fact every
few minutes.
Kids, even ones who don't read an awful lot, love this kind of
compodium. This is doubly true if it's packed with great
photographs. This book has over 1,000 facts and pictures to inform,
amuse, and sometimes astound.
For instance, there's a two page spread featuring 28,433 rubber
duckies. The text informs you that's the number of showers you'll
take in your life time. On one side there are other similar
statistics. A page on very odd sports contains...are you ready for
this...extreme ironing. Yes, there is such a thing as a solid gold
toilet. At $37 million it's a little too pricey for me. There's a
cat who won't be seen without a rhinestone studded collar. A page on
freaky foods has everything from a 1" cheeseburger to a 4 1/2'
cupcake. I bet one of those could provide lunch dessert for all of
RSU 26!
I could ramble on all night. Lucky you. I won't. Shakespeare
it's not. But if you want a highly enjoyable reading experience for
self and kids, go for it.
On a personal note, I'm getting the living room ready for a lovely
Christmas tree.
A great big shout out goes out to my church's kitchen ministry for
having the coffee ready Sunday mornings, putting fabulous lunches out
every week, and not getting annoyed when I sneak in before the service
to snatch choice tidbits like a mischievous kitten.
Julia Emily Hathaway

Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment