Tuesday, April 23, 2024

The Weight Of Blood

A couple of years ago I'd rave reviewed Tiffany D. Jackson's The Weight Of Blood. I Remember thinking it sorta reminded me of Carrie and wasn't surprised when she cited Stephen King as one of her biggest inspirations. When I brought the book back to the library I didn't plan on revisiting it. Certainly not this soon. But two things happened. First I learned that this year Carrie turns 50. Then I was reading in the juvenile wing of the Orono Public Library while waiting for a friend to show up. Looking to the side, I saw Maddy (Jackson's Carrie figure) covered in white paint and blood looking dazed on the cover of her book. Probably coincidence, but I saw an imperative for rereading and added it to my stack of inter library loans.
I am really am glad I did, this time oriented to seeing the parallels between the two books rather than noticing a resemblance in passing. Both books have a central figure who yearns to be accepted by the other teens and has the chances of achieving this modest success of a snowball in Hell. Each is being raised by a domineering parent who sees her as deeply flawed. Physical characteristics come to represent something larger. Carrie's breasts, referred to her mother as dirty pillows, stand for sexuality; Maddy's hair, which her father is constantly straightening, stands for race. In both a very oppressive fundamentalist brand of Christianity is a dominant influence. Both are sent to school with a wardrobe and mindset guaranteed to alienate peers. And in both the prom, the chance for one night of peer acceptance, is warped into a truly horrific event.
Has half a century made a difference? Yes and no. Technologies have advanced plenty just as they have in real life. But the hatred and fear of difference burns just as brightly in the hearts of many of our fellow citizens.
Interesting difference: While Carrie is seen as adult fiction The Weight Of Blood is shelved under YA. I wonder why. Any ideas?
If you like your horror novels based on a keen understanding of human nature both are very good options. It's been way too long since I've picked up Carrie so I'm adding that to my summer reading list.
On a purrrsonal note, I was waiting for Diane and a few others. We met up to distribute flyers about Orono Community Garden and a new food cupboard organized by Orono Health Association to the residents of the two housing complexes for older people.
A great big shout out goes out to the Community Garden's new partner, Food and Medicine. I'm a big fan of their philosophy and greatly looking forward to working with them.
Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment