Sunday, June 25, 2023

The Life And (Medieval) Times of Kate Sweeney

YA fiction 
     "Tonight's Friday, and the Red Knight, my older brother, Chris, is running late.  Again.
     'Please, please, please, please let me fight.'  I pace across Len's tiny office, my skirts swishing.  I know all the moves, and I've been practicing.  For years.'
     Kit, protagonist of Jamie Pacton's The Life And (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweeny, works at a very unusual chain restaurant.  It attempts to recreate Medieval times for diners.  Twice daily tournaments bring in the crowds.  Of course the knights and pages (knights in training) can only be guys.  The highest role girls and women can aspire to is serving wench.
     One night 🌙 when Chris can't fight Kit takes his place.  She's plenty ready and ends up winning.  She could have gotten away with it.  You can't tell who's who under a full out suit of armor.  But she chooses to remove her helmet and shout, "I AM NO MAN."
     Of course the guys at corporate headquarters go ballistic.  Nobody's going to change their beloved medieval hierarchy.  Manager Len goes all out to curb the insurrection on his turf.  He has potential loss of jobs to hold over Kit and Chris's heads.  This is no small thing.  A few years ago their father had fled, taking their college funds.  At best they barely get by on their and their mom's wages.  Now they're seriously behind on mortgage payments and in danger of losing their home.
     But Kit has become determined to change the chauvinistic rules.  Other would be knight serving wenches have joined her quest.  And her crusade is going viral on the Internet and drawing in crowds in real life.
On a purrrsonal note, I think I've figured out how to solve a problem that's plagued me for decades.  A couple of years I tasked myself with cutting down on sodium to avoid ❤️ disease and high blood pressure.  Easy peasy.  Most sodium is in foods I have minimal interest in.  Sugar is a whole different matter.  Every time I've tried to cut down I've felt deprived.  This time I decided to make it like a budget.  In the morning I start with my sugar budget.  I decide how I will spend it.  And when I spend it, no more til the next day.  If I spend it early there's the next day to look forward to.  I'll let you know how it goes.  (Jules)
What is it with people and sugar?  (Tobago)


Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment