Saturday, May 20, 2023

STEM Like a Girl

Juvenile nonfiction 
     Back when I was a girl there was a popular misconception that girls weren't wired to understand science and math concepts.  Even when my kids were little this stupid myth was still in ascendency with teachers paying more attention to the boys in their classes and women really represented in STEM vocations.  
     Things are finally starting to change.  Girls are exploring STEM activities at early ages and discovering strong and vibrant passions.  Sarah Foster's STEM Like a Girl is a celebration of this evolution.  Most of the book is devoted to dozens of portraits of girls between nine and twelve and their areas of interest and favorite projects.  They also answer questions such as "When an experiment or design doesn't turn out how you expected, how does that make you feel?" and "What other activities make you feel courageous, confident, and bold?"  There are also instructions on how to do fifteen experiments that can be carried out with stuff people either already have in their homes or can buy inexpensively at stores.
     This fine book is an excellent acquisition for school and public libraries.  It's also a great investment for homes where girls (or nonbinary people are growing up).
On a purrrsonal note, I was born decades too early.  I had a chemistry set.  I collected insects and rocks.  I built structures.  I dissected road kill.  I wish I could have been into a time where it was actually encouraged.  Goodness only what I could have become--maybe even a veterinarian or civil engineer.
Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment