Tuesday, February 28, 2023

The Lake

YA chiller 
     "'Cora, what are we--'  The words die on my tongue.  Painted on the back of the staff cabin is THE LAKE NEVER FORGETS.
     My mouth parts and my fingers curl into my palms.  
     An ice-cold chill ripples down my spine.  First the note, now this."
     Well, readers, looks like we're heading back to summer camp.  While you're packing your shorts, pajamas, and tee shirts, don't forget your pepper spray.  Where we're going, the setting of Natasha Preston's The Lake, there's a lot of rot behind the idyllic and probably a whole lot of danger lurking in the woods.
     When they were eight long time friends Esme and Kayla had spent their summer at Camp Pine Lake.  They'd swum, chowed down on hot dogs and s'mores, heard campfire ghost stories, and stayed up talking and giggling way past lights out.  They'd also sneaked out to the woods one fateful night and done something bad...
     ...something they've kept a secret for ten years.
     Now they're returning to spend the summer as counselors-in-training.  Surely enough time has elapsed that people have forgotten about the fire.  Nobody will connect their child selves with it.  They're going to enjoy the ambience, spend before college quality time together, maybe enjoy flirtations with cute male CITs, have the summer of their lives...
     ...Or maybe not.  From the start there are ominous incidents that go way beyond practical jokes.  As they escalate there is an increasing sense that all including the campers are in danger...
     ...The peril may have everything to do with what happened all those years ago as in revenge of the injured.  Esme and Kayla are in quite a bind.  Do they confess and risk being fired? Or do they keep their secret and risk a whole lot more?
On a purrrsonal note, it's snowing.  AGAIN!!!  Eugene is sleeping because he'll be called out to plow.  Tobago is snuggled up cozily.  Tomorrow is my post surgery check up.  Of course I'm anxious.  At least I have rides to the doctor's office and to UMaine for the first day of the hackathon.  If I had to bus I'd be even more anxious.  I hope I never have to go back to that hospital for all of eternity.  (Jules)
That is a long time.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the friends who will be chauffeurs.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment