Friday, December 27, 2019

She He They Me

She He They Me

Adult nonfiction
"So how do you get started? In real life, gender has a lot of
rules to follow, but in this book, you're free to make them up as you
go along. Navigate through your gender adventure by making your
choice and then flipping to the corresponding number at the top of the
page."
Some of my favorite parenting memories involve reading aloud to
my children. [BTW, the next book on my to review stack is all about
family read alouds]. Anyway some of my daughters' favorite read
alouds involved Goosebumps books, especially the choose your own
endings ones. You may be familiar with them. Instead of reading the
book from front to back you make a decision on how you want the plot
to go whenever prompted to by the text. Basically you can read the
book a dozen times or so without without encountering the same exact
story twice.
I thought I'd never see this concept applied to anything but
juvenile literature. I'm very glad I was wrong. Robin Ryles' She He
They Me: For the Sisters, Misters, and Binary Resisters (Don't you
just love the subtitle?) brings this format to the far from binary
world of gender. If you get your hands on it you are in for quite the
adventure.
Think your path begins with birth and the doctor's gender
pronouncement? Wrong! You first look at the society you arrive in.
Gender may not exist. If it does there may not just be two options.
Many factors are explored as you go along your path choosing options.
Explore your truth or use your imagination. There are over a hundred
possible stories.
What are you waiting for?
On a purrrsonal note, Tobago had her first visit with her new vet.
She is the picture of feline health. Dr. Julie is smitten with her
new patient and happy for Tobago and me and the life together we now
have. In the family Tobago has charmed Eugene and Amber. I can't
imagine anyone resisting her catly charms. As I write this she is
curled up with me sleeping.
I know Tobago is a rescue cat. I also know we rescued each other. I
brought her into a home where her needs are met and she is treasured.
She is healing my heart. I will always miss Joey and treasure his
precious memory. But I'm not drowning in grief.
A week into vaca I haven't gotten around to research. I may get very
little done. Bonding with Tobago is so delightful I don't feel like
leaving the house unless I have to.
A great big shout out goes out Dr. Julie Keene who will help me keep
Tobago healthy just as she did for Joey and to Anna who took me on a
road trip to Waterville where I met my sweet little girl.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment