Monday, January 21, 2019

Marching For Freedom

Marching For Freedom

Juvenile nonfiction
"The first time Joanne Blackmon was arrested she was just ten
years old. After breakfast one morning, she and her grandmother,
Sylvia Johnson, left their apartment in the Carver Homes in Selma,
Alabama...Mrs. Johnson intended to register to vote. She knew she
wouldn't be allowed to. It was almost impossible for blacks to
register. But she wanted to show the authorities that she, like all
Americans, deserved the right to vote."
That was the first of eleven times Joanne was jailed. Her
sister, Lynda, was jailed nine time. They were two of hundreds of
children and teens who were incarcerated for simply demanding human
rights. These days we would arrest anyone who kept animals under the
conditions many of them were held. Can you believe 23 girls in a cell
designed for 2 with no mattress?
In honor of Martin Luther King Day I read Elizabeth Partridge's
Marching For Freedom. In a volume rich with photographs, Partridge
traces the events from King's decision to lead a Selma based campaign
for black voting rights through Bloody Sunday to the March to
Montgomery and the signing of the Voting Rights Act. Within the
larger picture she follows the narratives of some of the participants
including Joanne and Lynda.
Adults, don't dismiss this book because of its readership
designation. It struck me in a visceral way a lot of adult books
don't. I was struck with how determined and courageous the people
including children and teens were. They were beaten, tear gassed, and
jailed under extremely abusive conditions. They were clubbed by men
on horses. The threat of death was ever present. When they got of
prison they'd get right back into their mission. How many of us can
be as brave and committed?
Sadly, after all these years, we are still too far away from
achieving King's dream. People are finding new sneaky ways to keep
blacks from voting. Police shoot unarmed blacks while black children
are diverted into the school-to-jail pipeline. There's the whole
white privilege system we need to dismantle. All of us are needed to
do our part in leading us into the promised land of liberty and
justice for all. I use my opinion writing and book reviewing skills
and my loud voice to remind people that, even after having a black
president, we're nowhere near a post racial society. What can you do?
On a personal note, my manager, Jodi, will be moving to another job on
campus. (Thank God, not in the real world). I'm happy for her
because she'll have more time for her children. I'll miss seeing her
in the work setting. But I'll keep her in my life for sure.
In just four months Jodi shifted my way of thinking in regard to
management. I used to think it was nothing I'd be ever interested
in. No way was I gonna be The Man. But Jodi demonstrated a style of
getting to know her workers and creating a workplace that could be
safe, welcoming, affirming, and valuing. A space where we could ask
for and get help and offer observations and ideas without stepping out
of our place in hierarchy. Management is now something I am suited
for and can take an interest in without considering myself a sell
out. I think the best way I can thank Jodi for the example she set me
is by doing my best according to the values we share and giving her
the credit she deserves when I make something of myself.
A great big shout goes out to Jodi.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment