Thursday, September 21, 2017

Irrisistible

Irrisistible

YA/adult nonfiction
"A like on Facebook and Instagram strikes one of those notes, as
does the reward of completing a World of Warcraft mission, or seeing
one of your tweets shared by hundreds of Twitter users. The people
who create and refine tech, games, and interactive experiences are
very good at what they do. They run thousands of tests with millions
of users to learn which tweaks work and which ones don't--which
background colors, fonts, and audio tones maximize engagement and
minimize frustration. As an experience evolves, it becomes an
irrisistible, weaponized version of the experience it once was. In
2004, Facebook was fun; in 2016, it's addictive."
Awhile back my kids got on Facebook. At least in my neck of the
woods there was disagreement about whether parents should get their
own accounts. I read of parents who did so to monitor their offspring
like hawks--making sure they couldn't pull anything off. I personally
knew a few who said, I have a right to and if they don't like it,
tough. I had no reason to suspect my kids of being Internet
miscreants. Also, even though I suspected I was missing out on
something, it didn't seem worth the bother. I am so glad. I was
having trouble with lonliness. With my kids growing up I was missing
all the fun we'd had together without adult companionship to take its
place. I was isolated in conservative suburbia. If I'd found kindred
spirits in the virtual world (instead of burying myself in books) I
might very well have become hooked rather than seeking real world
friends. More recently a friend made me a page. In the two or three
years since I've peeked twice or three times. The first time it was
like a shiny new toy under the tree due to novelty. The next time it
was meh. Quickly it felt like a time suck. I'd developed a vibrant
real world social life that made its offerings seem pale in comparison.
In his Irrisistible: The Rise Of Addictive Technology And The
Business Of Keeping Us Hooked, Adam Alter gives the science behind my
epiphany and a number of other really cool observations. He uses an
intriguing blend of history, research, and personal narrative that is,
I gotta warn you, irrisistible once you turn to the first page. It's
extremely enlightening.
The part of the book I found most intriguing was Alter's
refution of the theory that some people are predisposed to behavioral
addiction (an inability to give up obsessive behaviors rather than
substances like drugs) and the rest of us are safe. One of the cases
he cites involves Vietnam vets. Not surprisingly, although the
soldiers arrived clean, the homesickness, stress, and easy
availability and strength of heroin made for a lot of addicts. A lot
of people cried foul when a researcher discovered 95% of the soldier
addicts kicking the habit as opposed to 5% who develop it in America.
What was going on? They were completely leaving the places and
situational triggers that started their habits instead of going from
jail or rehab into the same neighborhoods and relationships. The
emphasis on circumstances explains why in that gap between the joy of
parenting and finding a new joie de vivre I was uniquely vulnerable.
It also explains why many of our friends, despite frustration with the
amount of time behavioral addictions take up and the best of
intentions, find it difficult or impossible to cut down.
The most alarming part of the book for me was the implications
for the barely out of the womb generation. It has been proven time
and time again that babies and toddlers need real world interaction
with significant others and concrete objects. Manufacturers are
devising ways to get even the littlest people hooked on electronics.
And a lot of moms and dads plunk them down in order to pursue their
own addictions. We already have lots of kids and teens who are unable
or afraid to negotiate nonvirtual interactions. What are we setting
ourselves up for?
We don't live in a world where we can totally not use the
Internet. Even some of the most basic jobs, for example, require on
line applications. But Alter ends the book with ways in which we can
protect ourselves and our loved ones from the dangers and even make
use of some positive aspects. Even if you're not concerned about
anyone in your life, Irresistible provides an in depth look into how
our society morphed into what it is today. I plan to check out
Alter's earlier book: Drunk Tank Pink: And Other Unexpected Forces
That Shape How We Think, Feel, and Behave.
I use my iPod touch to communicate via email with friends
(deleting most of what I get unread), look up information, and read a
few on line periodicals. When Facebook reminds me of a friend's
birthday I email or phone. Every few months I consider logging in (or
is it on) and don't bother. Friends send me info by alternate
routes. I'm out of the loop with extended family on my husband's
side, but as long as my kids keep in touch by email and phone I can
live with that.
In a sense books are addictive for me. I get a real rush out of
finding good ones. I don't go anywhere, not even in an elevator,
without at least one. But they don't prevent me from having a very
full and purposeful life. If anything, they give me more to discuss
with other bibliophiles, not to mention this blog. Plus all this
reading helps with my own writing. So it's beneficial at this point.
On a personal note, today is my happy birthday day!!! Joey cat has
sung me Happy Birthday. I've already started celebrating with friends
and will continue at least a few days. This afternoon I'm going to
Sweet Frog (a frozen yogurt place) with a friend. Sunday will be a
family birthday picnic. You, too, can celebrate. Treat today as the
special treasure it is. Cherish the special moments you might
otherwise rush by. Be present to your real world friends, family, and
animal companions. Use my birthday as a reason to give yourself a
sweet treat (unless it would send you into a diabetic coma!). Please
take some time away from social media to see what's being featured on
Mother Nature's infinity wide screen.
A great big shout out to the people and sweet cat companion who do so
much to make my life such a happy one.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment