Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Saving Lucas Biggs

Saving Lucas Biggs

Juvenile fiction
Margaret O'Malley, one of the narrator/protagonists of Marisa de
los Santos and David Teague's Saving Lucas Biggs, has an intriguing
genetic trait. Members of her family can time travel. However, each
generation is strongly admonished not to. In fact they must take a
solemn pledge:
"There is one Now: the spot where I stand,
And one way the road goes: onward, onward."
Time strongly resists revisionists attempts. In fact a time traveler
begins to weaken the moment she lands in another time and could end up
dying in both.
So why would Margaret even consider taking these risks?
Love, pure and simple. Her father is a whistleblower in a fuel
company owned and run town. He's been framed for arson and murder.
The judge has sentenced him to death.
Margaret would do anything to save her dad--even going back on
her sacred vow to travel to a time when the sentencing judge was an
idealistic boy rather than a cynical old man and prevent the incident
that hardened his heart.
Youngsters who choose to go with her will find it a fascinating
journey.
On a personal note, my benefit dinner/silent auction to raise money
for girls' education in Tanzania is only two days away. Two major
complications have arisen. I've been elected official Veazie School
Committee delegate to the annual Maine School Management Conference.
I'll be in Augusta the two days I can least afford to, getting back
hours before the event. Also I have a pesky urinary tract infection
which has me constantly needing to pee. Suffice it to say it's been a
week since I've slept even two hours in one block. I may be a few
fries short of a happy meal. Will the event succeed? This story may
be as fascinating as the books I review.
A great big shout out goes out to the fine folks who are putting time,
effort, and energy into this cause which is so dear to my heart.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment