Friday, July 18, 2014

A Woman In The House (And Senate)

A Woman In The House (And Senate)

Juvenile nonfiction
Did you ever hear that old saying, a woman's place is in the
home? It's not used much any more. Back in the day, however, when
people were trying to keep women from voting, working outside the
home, or doing other activities considered unsuitable for the gentler
sex, this was the prime justification--drawing on evidence ranging
from the Bible to research. We were put on this earth to raise
children and keep spouses fed, cleanly clothed, satisfied, and
climbing up the corporate ladder. We weren't inferior, just different.
Yeah, right.
In her lively and engaging A Woman In The House (And Senate),
Ilene Cooper puts a really cool spin on that adage. Beginning with
Jeanette Rankin, who was elected in 1916--4 years before women's
suffrage was the law of the land, the lives and careers of women who
have served in Congress are presented. You read not only about their
accomplishments, but about the forces that shaped the people they
became, their motives, and their hopes. Their stories are set within
the context of the issues of their times.
I learned something about Margaret Chase Smith who inspired
women to enter all levels of government. I'd learned how she'd risen
from a childhood of poverty and gone to work rather than unaffordable
college. I was very familiar with her declaration of conscience. I
was touched to the depths of my soul when I read that on the day of
John F. Kennedy's funeral she took the trademark fresh red rose she
always wore in her lapel and placed it on his desk.
That's how up close and personal you'll get to know these
remarkable women. This is a book that can inspire and delight our
daughters while teaching us, even those of us who have been in women's
studies a decade or so, a thing or two.
On a personal note, I never would have run for school committee if it
hadn't been for Margaret Chase Smith. For many years she had been my
answer to what famous person, alive or dead, I'd most want to meet. I
was thrilled when she was going to speak at University of Maine. I
got there early to get a good seat. She got there early too and
engaged me in a conversation that started out with the weather. Just
the two of us for half an hour. What amazed me was she wanted to talk
about me, insignificant me: my experiences, passions, dreams. Then
she told me in no uncertain terms that with my intelligence, drive,
and visions I needed to become a public servant. Imagine that! I got
my mandate from the best. Going into my tenth year, I believe I am
justifying her faith in me.
A great big shout out goes out to my sisters at all levels of gubment.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment