Friday, May 17, 2013

City Fish, Country Fish

City Fish, Country Fish

Juvenile nonfiction
I'm sure we're all familiar with the tale of the city mouse and
the country mouse where two rodents swap habitats and learn the joys
and dangers of each others' worlds. Mary Cerullo's City Fish, Country
Fish is a delightful play on this theme. We get a close up look into
the lives of city (tropical) and country (cool water) fish.
City fish are the denizens of high rise coral reefs. Their
bright colors attract mates and warn would be preditors. They are
designed for quick escapes. They engage in symbiotic relationships
for food and protection.
Cool water fish swim around the open ocean floor. Their
camoflage colors help them blend in with their background. They are
designed for stamina and long distance travel. They travel in schools
for safety in numbers.
Pictures are beautiful, strange, and sometimes amusing. And
yes, you can find Nemo.
On a personal note, I sure miss the ocean. Right up til high school I
lived so close to the shore I could hear waves at night. I was
constantly at the beach. I sure am glad the conference I'll be going
to is in coastal Bar Harbor.
A great big shout out goes out to all who work so valiently to get the
ocean clean and healthy for both city and country fish.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment